To transform a tree log into something that is to be desired, you will need some basic tools or beginner woodworking tools. Any beginner woodworking enthusiast must learn to use these beginner woodworking tools in order to create a piece of fine furniture, gadget or a cabinet that they want to build. Becoming a beginner woodworking enthusiast, you must fill your workshop with various beginner woodworking tools in order to finish the wood working project you will start.
Here is a list of the beginner woodworking tools for beginner woodworking hobbyist:
- Work Bench – This is the first and foremost tool needed by any would be woodworking enthusiast or hobbyist. Its size must be good enough for various beginner woodworking projects and leaves space for working around. The work bench should also be fitted with vises. This is crucial in holding your project to make a precise cut or measurement. Your work bench is the hub for all your woodworking projects.
- Hammer – This is very vital in all your woodworking projects. This tool is used in driving nails, pins, staples, etc. into the surface of the wood that you are working on. Size and weight of the hammer is most crucial. A too heavy hammer might dent, crack, destroy a delicate wood or bend a nail or pin. A small and lightweight hammer might not have the power to drive a nail into a hard surface wood. Having different sizes and weights of hammer allow greater flexibility in various kinds of woodworking project. Also, consider the ends of the hammer. There are clawed ends and rounded ends. Even though the rounded ends are rarely needed, it will come in handy at rare occasions. Rubber mallets is also needed in delicate woodworking projects, as this does not crack and dent wood surfaces.
- Saw – This is a must tool for a beginner woodworking project. This beginner woodworking tools are used in cutting wood pieces to suit the required measurement of the woodworking project. There are several choices for this tool, depending on your budget. Hand saw comes in different kinds and shapes. Coping saw and crosscut saw are some of the types of hand saw. If you plan on doing more woodworking projects, invest in power saw. This tool cuts precisely to your measurement requirements. Just like hand saw, power saw come in different types. Power miters, circular saw, radial arm saw and table saw are some of the many types. Safety is of most important in using a power saw. A slight error might cause a severe accident. Read the safety precaution that comes with the power saw before operating it.
- Screw Drivers – Screw driver comes in different shapes and sizes. The three most common types of screw driver used in woodworking projects are standard (flat) type, Phillips and Robertson (Canadian) types. Having different sizes and types of screw driver is necessary in your woodworking workshop. Investing in cordless power screw drivers is a good idea if you plan on working with many beginner woodworking projects. Power screw driver makes you finish your project a lot faster.
- Wrench – Some wood working projects require bolts instead of screws for stronger hold. It would require a wrench to tighten it. So, invest in a set of wrench. Adding Allen wrench to your set is a good idea. It is also a good idea to add to your set of wrench an adapter to your power drill or power screw driver, as this would make your work faster.
- Drill – This beginner woodworking tool is used in drilling holes in any wood surface. Nowadays, you will most likely see a power drill instead of a hand drill being used in various beginner woodworking project. Power drill comes in many sizes (wattage). For a beginner woodworking project, a low wattage power drill is good enough. Low wattage power drill doubles as a screw driver and wrench with the right adapter.
- Sander – To smoothen out rough wood surfaces, you need a sander. Like some other tools, sander comes in different types. A handheld sander is useful for smoothing out a rough wood surface that is hard to reach by big sanders like Belt Sanders. Belt sanders can help make short work of those big projects while hand-held sanders can help with the smaller ones. Sanding block is useful in finishing touches for delicate and fine woodworking projects.
- Measuring Tape – To use this beginner woodworking tool effectively, you must have a basic understanding of the English Measurement System and Metric Measurement System. Reading your measurement in inches or part of it makes your measurement reading more tolerable to error, while reading it in centimeters is less tolerable to error.
Aside from the above list of basic woodworking tools, you will also need some or all of the list below:
• glue and other adhesives – to keep delicate piece of wood together.
• shop vac – to clean your workshop after a day’s work.
• pencil and erase – to mark precisely where you want to cut or drill.
• level – most useful in making your project as flat as possible or as square as possible.
• staple gun – for attaching and keeping pieces together.
• First Aid Kit – the most important element in your workshop.